Prop removal 1999-2003
1. Raise and securely support hood. Rather than trying to find a stick the exact size it's easier just to have someone help you as the props can be changed rather quickly.
2. With a flat-blade screwdriver pry the lower metal retaining clip outward. It does not need to completely come off. Be careful not to let it drop somewhere where you'll never find it.
3. Pry off the spring clip retainer attaching the support prop upper stud.
4. Lift up slightly on the hood and disconnect prop from lower ball stud.
5. Rotate prop upwards to disconnect it from the upper ball stud.
6. Install replacement prop, making sure the clips are secure. Carefully lower and raise hood to test.
Prop removal 2004
Starting with 2004 models, slightly redesigned hood props were introduced, a different part # for the right side (red sticker) and a different part # for the left side (blue sticker). Prior versions featured a flat clip lock for the bottom and a "C" spring clip for the top. The new revised props feature a "C" clip on both the top and bottom, and fixed ends that face inward for the left side and outward for the right side.
2. With a flat-blade screwdriver pry the lower metal retaining clip outward to remove it. Pull lower rod away to unhook it from the ball stud.
3. With a flat-blade screwdriver pry the upper metal retaining clip outward to remove it. Pull upper rod away to unhook it from the ball stud.
4. Install replacement prop by pressing each end on to the ball socket. Reinstall the upper and lower spring clips. Carefully lower and raise hood to test.
|WJ hood props|
|Model year||Part #||MSRP|
|NOTE: Prices listed are for reference purposes only and may vary by dealer. Prices are current as of August 2008. Parts are not available from this web site.|